Friday, October 14, 2005

Language Question

Some people say "deserted island" and some people say "desert island." Which is correct? It seems to me that deserted, as in uninhabited, would make more sense. Desert island sounds more like an island that is dry and covered with sand and cacti and snakes. These are the things I think about when the phone rings at 4:30 in the morning and I can't go back to sleep. Thanks for your help.

By the way, if you are lucky and get to go to Maine, you can visit Mount Desert Island, but it is pronounced like "dessert."

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

As you've alluded, I think it depends on the context. But I think ''desert'' island is a bit of a misnomer, as people are usually thinking ''tropical'' when they say it (palm trees, lagoons) -- which would give it waaay too much rain to be a true ''desert'' island. :)

Seen Tom Hank's ''Castaway''? A pretty decent movie; worth renting.

--GG

tschy said...

deserted - definitly.

Mt. Desert Island is where I got engaged - home of Acadia National Park.