Saturday, October 08, 2005

Saturday Afternoon Blogtime

The weekend if off to a great start. It's cool outside, the birds are singing, and I am in a very good mood. Last night we ushered in the fall with some nice hearty homemade beef stew with roasted garlic and crusty bread. Mmm-mmm. This morning, we had some delicious baked oatmeal with bananas on top. Ahh. Well, delicious to me anyway. Kev likes regular oatmeal better, but I can't eat it. The texture freaks me out. I was so happy when I discovered baked oatmeal, because I always really wanted to like oatmeal. It smells so good. Anyway, breakfast was good. Then we went to the matinee of the new Wallace and Gromit movie which is genius, I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 Penguins (according to the LRHS Penguin Rating System (TM)).

This morning we were talking about all that jazz with the inflatables, and here's the deal. I think the reason I hate them so much is that they represent, in a very in-your-face way, the commercial-ness of the holidays, which is what I really don't like. Target already has Christmas stuff out. World Market had ornaments out in SEPTEMBER! It just makes me mad, because by the time Christmas gets here, everyone is sick of it.

My cousin Brad said we should make giant inflatable politians at election-time, or giant inflatable Brads which would be really funny. Or LarryFeathers in every yard. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Kev wants to revolutionize holidays. He reckons we should get rid of lame holidays like St. Patrick's Day and Valentine's Day and invent some new ones. I said, "Like what?" He suggested Dog Day and Cheese Day. I am in favor of both. (Think of the giant inflatable potential there!)

Tomorrow is the day I've been waiting for since last October: The day we go to the State Fair of Texas. Woo-hoo! So get ready for tales of mild adventure with birds and ferris wheels and corn-dogs coming soon to the LRHS.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hey- I hope you had fun at the fair. I still haven't made it there yet! Maybe I will go one day this week. Are we still up for Paris next Saturday?

Gye Greene said...

Noooo! Can't remove St. Pat's Day!!!

:)


--GG