Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Very Housepants Weekend

There has been a lot of band practice this weekend. We are in panic mode sorta, only a couple months to Christmas, and we're still a couple of songs short of Volume III. Kev is recording now, and I am being quiet and blogging.

Last night we went to a funny party at our neighbors' house (Hank and Ana). It was Hank's birthday so he grilled fajitas which were very tasty. Parties at their house are always interesting. Ana is from Venezuela, so there are always many Spanish-speaking people there. They sit in the driveway. Hank's friends sit on the deck near the grill. His most notorious friend, Bleeding Roy, is always there with his very scraggly dog. Roy is pretty much on the fringe. He looks a little like Dennis Hopper, doesn't seem to care much about cleanliness, has questionable teeth, and is very political. We call him Bleeding Roy because the first time we met him at a Hank party, he had blood running all down his leg, which he didn't seem to mind or even notice. Last night, he suddenly threw his arms into the air and shouted, "Bush sucks! Right everybody?" No one really responded, but I don't think he cared. Kev wants to write a song about Bleeding Roy, but I don't really want to have to think about him that much. I do want to write a song about a girl that Kev used to ride the bus with because her name is Francine Canteen, which I think is funny. But I don't know how far you could really take a song like that. Kev told my brother and I about Francine at lunch yesterday. He also suggested that my brother wear a cape to testify in court on Monday. He said something else funny too, but I forget what it was. He's been on quite a roll lately.

When we got home from the party, Kev was lying on the couch with his eyes closed, and then suddenly he became very animated, which if you know Kev, is a little unusual. "What is it?", I asked. He held up a finger for a moment, then said, "What is special about this sentence: Tara saw Bob was a rat?" I said, "Oh, it is a palindrome!" Kev was very happy, because apparently he has spent many hours trying to come up with a palindromic sentence. Mission accomplished! So, good for Kev. Later he changed his palindrome to Tara saw Otto was a rat. Then he looked at some guy's internet palindromes and got all defeated because they were really complicated.

This morning we went to the Garden Cafe on Junius for breakfast. It is my new favorite breakfast place. The food is great, but here is a warning: You will get food that only closely resembles what you order. I ordered a whole grain pancake, bacon, and a side of cheese grits. I got a buttermilk pancake, ham, and a side of cheese grits. Kev ordered a mushroom omelet, whole wheat toast, and a hash brown. He got a omelet with no mushrooms, a biscuit, and a hashbrown. That's OK though, it was all good. I think maybe the lady at the counter must have been hearing impaired or something. At least I got my grits, which was what I wanted the most, and I got to try Kev's biscuit, which was one of the best biscuits I've ever had. So, go to the Garden Cafe on Junius if you can, and call me if you do cause I wanna go.

It's COLD!!!!! At last. Tomorrow I will wear my Nepalese daisy pancho.

4 comments:

john clarke said...

The next time you plan a Garden Cafe trip, give me a call. I can walk there. Beside, I advocate seeing the Housepants crowd more often. Of course, give me some notice because I'll knock off breakfast at a pretty early hour if I don't already have plans with someone.

K. said...

Bleeding Roy

2 parts Stoli
1 part Grand Marnier
1 part Grenadine
Splash of orange juice
Dash of Angostura bitters

Shake well with ice. Serve over a little crushed ice in a martini glass.

-K.

Gye Greene said...

Francene song: If it's more descriptive than just her name, then it could be pretty good. Ex: Eleanor Rigby.

Palendrome: Yeah, but if he made it up in his head, rather than using paper, then that's extra special. (Who knows -- maybe the palindrome webpage guy used a computer program...)

Verification work: ''gudsundt'' -- yet, I did not sneeze (or rather, ''snez''). ;)


--GG

whitneydonkey said...

i like the idea of mystery breakfast. that is fun.

palendrome - its too early for me to deal with that today.
for a song - it rhymes with Rome though. very Rome-antic.
hahaha