Monday, October 31, 2005

Thank You

Thanks to everybody for the nice comments about the baby (and for the advice about pants!). We really appreciate all your nice thoughts.

Frankly, I knew it was going to take something of this magnitude to get a certain Mr. Patrick C. to comment on the LRHS. Now we will expect to hear from you more often!

The choosing of the name is probably going to be the hardest part, since Kev and I are the world's worst decision-making duo ever. It takes us over an hour just to decide which take-out place to order from (and there are only about three choices). Kev's plan is that I am to make my list, and he will make his "name spreadsheet," and one day we'll just sit down with them and "have it out." Doesn't that sound like fun? We are doing much better on our list of names we will NOT choose, which includes Potsie, Skipper, Bender, Helmut, Wally, and Beaver, just to name a few. It's much easier to name a sock monkey, I tell you what.

11 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Baby name: How about... a web vote!!!! ;)

Beyond all the arguments for and against knowing the sex of your baby -- at least it cuts down the name-choosing by half! :)


--GG

whitneydonkey said...

more names not to use:

Garland or Mesquite-only if its a girl, very approp. if its a boy though.

Buck Dandy- our next dog name.

Wyndarius-name I saw at work yesterday.

any names that rhyme with bad words. you have to watch out how initals line up too.

THIS SOUNDS BAD, BUT WE READ THE OBITS IN THE PAPER. there were alot of cool old ladies and men passing on in Tennessee at the time. I still never got to use Eloise though. That will always bother me.

Tara said...

Yeah, but that's a lot of pressure, because what if you're wrong?! Like what if you name your kid "Brad" for example, but he grows up and has a bunch of mental anguish because inside, he was always "Ramekin."

K. said...

I for one don't think I am a Kevin, and carry a certain amount of anguish to that extent. But the alternative could have been far worse; my dad wanted to name me Xavier. Boy was that was a close call - I owe you one mom. No offense to all you Xaviers out there.

I guess on the upside, I could have signed my name with a big "X".

I would like to revolutionize this whole baby naming business. The Native Americans had it right; wait till the kid grows up and has a spiritual vision or something and can choose a more appropriate name. But it would have to fit our modern society, so names like "John Kills the Rabbit" would become "John Eats his Vegetables" or whatever. In the meantime you'd use a temporary name; say, Peanut. Or Palindrome.

-K.

Julie said...

Somewhere I have a book called Baby Names from Around the World. I will locate and let you guys borrow it. Yeah, the single girl has that book- a girl can dream!!! It was one of those books I saw at a book fair that I had never seen and thought- I hope I need this someday. Many have used it. It was a good investment.

whitneydonkey said...

bob wants to change his name to Felix Augustus.

really.

marty said...

K. I share a similiar story in that I don't feel like a Marty(I am a JR), and the name proposed by my father was Levi.

tschy said...

My advice, and I know how desparate you are for another smart-assed quip from know-it-all parents, is to wait until you see the baby. Then pick from a hanfull of names that you both like. One of them will "just fit." And you never know, the baby may just look like a "Gus" (was my favorite name, but realistically wasn't going to happen)

tschy said...

By the way, I may say t "hanfull" -but I really meant handfull. I'm not as stupid as my typing may appear.

Bleach said...

I would like to suggest the name "Rhode Island".

Ramekin

The Hatleyman said...

Name him Tim....but pronounce it Bob....because you can't spell a name wrong.