Thursday, October 27, 2005

Feed the World

Well, the holiday season is approaching, and this I can tell by the arrival of my Heifer International Holiday Gift Catalog. I got it yesterday for the third or fourth year in a row. Not sure how they got my name, probably from Sierra Club or Audubon Society or something.

Now in case you don't know what Heifer International is, let me tell you. Heifer International is an organization that provides farm animals to people of the world, as well as training in how to use said farm animals to better their lives and the lives of their families and communities. Through the holiday gift catalog, ordinary people like me can purchase animals, or if that's too expensive, shares of animals, in the names of people we like, as a holiday gift. So, if I wanted to get you, for example, a gift, I could purchase a couple shares of a goat ($10 ea.) to be given to someone in say, Uganda, in your honor. Then, once there are enough shares to make a whole goat ($120), the Uganda person receives the goat and learns how to care for it and milk it and so forth. And if they get two goats, they can raise more goats to milk or sell or give to extended family members. It is like the whole "teach a man to fish" thing. Not only can you send people goats, but also cows (obviously), llamas, sheep, buffalo, HONEYBEES, and more!

Before you start rolling your eyes, think about it for a minute. I think it is a really nice idea. And Heifer International isn't rinky-dink either. It is endorsed by such people as Susan Sarandon, Ed Harris, the moms from Malcolm in the Middle and Everybody Loves Raymond, Ed Asner, Walter Cronkite, and the great President Jimmy Carter. It has been around since 1944, and has won several Humanitarian awards. This may be the year I finally get my brother a goat for Christmas.

If you would like to get a farm animal gift for someone you like, or just learn more about heifer International, you can go to:

http://www.heifer.org/site/pp.aspx?c=edJRKQNiFiG&b=204586


4 comments:

marty said...

I say we chip in and get me honey bees...Kim can't be upset if I get it as a gift..and then there shall be honey for everyone... I could go for a small cone


FLINGO!!!!

Gye Greene said...

A really good idea. And writing the cards would be fun, too: ''On your behalf, I gave a poor person half a goat!''

--GG

K. said...

If I purchase controlling stock of some livestock, can I name it? If a llama, I would like to name it Dolly. If a heifer, Hugh.

I am generally in favor of this concept and am going to ask for a llama leg for Christmas.

But I see from the catalog you can purchase a "trio of Guinea Pigs to help families in Peru add protein to their diets".

I don't know about all that.

-K.

Tara said...

Oh dear.

I'll not be getting anyone Guinea Pigs.