Friday, August 12, 2005


This is Antone. He is a nice Greek man, and as you can see, he loves Texas. You may remember him from john_clarke's blog about hummus. Today, I met john_clarke for lunch and we went to the Antone Cafe, which is downtown at Main and Field (I think). If you didn't believe John about Antone saying, "You want SPICY?" and calling him Joe, then you were right, because Antone says, "You want SPICY?" and calls him MISTER Joe. He called me The Lovely Lady. And then he gave me delicious Mediterranean food (thanks to John for buying lunch).

While we were eating, Antone came to our table to lament the construction in the neighborhood which is hurting business at Antone Cafe. Antone said he has been there for thirty years, and business has never been this bad. He blames the new lofts. People that live in lofts eat inside he told us, they don't bring new business. Antone Cafe needs there to be construction of new office space which means hungry lunch customers. Lofts do him no good. He sighed and his head hung low. Then, he brought us a free plate of grapes and pomegranates. Antone is sad. I can tell. And I am sad too, and I think we must all get together and save Antone Cafe because it has a nice hard-working owner and delicious Mediterranean food. So please try to go downtown for lunch and eat at Antone Cafe, and tell people you know to do the same, especially if they work downtown. I will go back, so let me know if you want to go with me.

2 comments:

Tara said...

YAY! That's great...thanks Francine! And thanks for the birthday comment too.

whitneydonkey said...

i will say a prayer for Antone and his hummus. I wish I could be close enough to eat there all the time. damn loft people.