Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Anniversary

Today is Kevin's and my second anniversary. I took the day off from work so we could have fun. This morning we took a bike ride. I think we are going bowling this afternoon, and out to dinner tonight with a gift certificate we got for Christmas. Kev is having a hard time celebrating because he is fretting about jobs and taxes. He is working on a couple of good new songs. I am supposed to be writing the lyrics, but I am having a hard time. I need to be really worked up about something, and then the lyrics just come out, like with Pancho, and Sock Monkey Man, and Gay Tim Duncan (which sadly was never recorded due to Kev and I can't rap). Anyway, those songs took about 10 minutes to write. The new song is about Barbec's, which should be easy right, because everyone knows how much I love breakfast. But I'm struggling.

Anyway, I just don't know about poetry. We saw some poets at the Deep Ellum arts festival on Sunday. They were bad. One guy's poem went like this: "Get up, eat breakfast, fight traffic, work all day, fight traffic, eat dinner, go to bed, get up..." you get the idea. Another lady did dramatic readings from Dr. Seuss books. Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of people who have a way with words. But I think I prefer prose. I like it when people can say something very ordinary in an extraordinary way. My friend Bryce can do this, and he doesn't even try. James Thurber is a master of it. Larry Feathers can do it. I studied a lot of poetry in college. I don't know. Maybe it's just not for everyone. Dorothy Parker's pretty good I guess. The poet laureate of the US was an insurance underwriter all his life because poets don't make any money.

So, happy anniversary, Kev. Don't fret. At least you aren't a poet. Or an insurance underwriter. Now, who's ready to bowl?!

No comments: