Sunday, April 10, 2005

Sunday Blog Melange

Greetings. Kev is taking a nap, and I am having some quiet time. Today has been a fun day so far. My brother came over for some breakfast tacos. Then we played Scattergories. Then we all went down to the SPCA to look at Melvin and the other good dogs and cats. Melvin is HUGE. At least his head is huge. He has really short legs. And he was very sad. I think maybe he might be sick. He was very nice, and I assured him that someone would come to take him home soon. I hope I'm right. There were tons of good dogs there. There was a litter of really nice Australian Shepherds. Very docile. So we played with the puppies, and produced lots of seratonin and lowered our blood pressure and went home. I love going to see the dogs, but it always makes me sad. I am worried about what will happen to Melvin if he doesn't get a home soon. There was also a cat there that looked just like Archie (before he got fat), and that made me sad too.

Right now I am typing in the dark with the blinds closed because the in-danger-of-joining-a-gang kids who go around selling magazines to keep them off the streets are coming. Yesterday, we had to hide from the Jehova's Witnesses. I'm thinking about getting one of those "No Soliciting" signs. Is that unfriendly?

Kev has been working on a song about Barbec's that I already told you about. He has a little clarinet part in mind, which he said he wanted me to play. (We brought home my sister-in-law's clarinet at Christmas because she never plays it). Anyway, yesterday he went to buy some reeds, and came back with a book called "So You Want to Play the Clarinet," but should be called "So You Want to Torture Your Neighbors and Make Your Own Head Explode." Before I was past page two ("Squeaks Happen") which was all about learning to produce one nice long clear note with just the mouthpiece and barrel, Kev had the whole thing assembled, and I'll be damned if he wasn't playing Row Your Boat, Frere Jacques, and Fly Me to the Freaking Moon. So much for my big clarinet solo in the Barbec's song I guess. Have you ever lived with someone who can do EVERYTHING better than you? I reckon I could take him in a tap-dancing contest (did you know I can do a quadruple time step?!), but that's about it. Good thing I'm not competative.

Note to "LarryFeathers" and "K" - according to dictionary.com, a capitol is a building. a capital is a city. That gives me another scattergories point, which means I WIN! YES!

Note to "Marty"- Thanks to a video tape we received in the mail, we have now seen every last nook and cranny of your house (very nice by the way - especially the record player), not to mention the Pfaltzgraf store and someone named Carrie's house, so we may no longer need to come to Long Island. I did not see any bee-keeping supplies on the tour. By the way, does Tim still play for San Antonio? I think they are coming up here in a month or so to play the Rough Riders.

Well, the Sunday Crossword is calling me. Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Oh! Almost forgot. Shout Out to Kev's soccer team for making it to the final!

8 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Hi! Misc:

1) Where can we take a listen to some of your and/or Kevin's music?

2) Maybe Kevin can use your tap-dancing as a "break" in one of his songs -- a la Soundgarden's "Spoon Man." (An actual Seattle guy: Artis the Spoonman.)

3) Maybe it's just me, but clarinets are easier than flutes. A friend worked at a music store, got a sound the first time. But simply can NOT get anything off a flute. Maybe try that route, relative to Kevin? ;)

--Tall Guy

Tara said...

If you or anyone wants to hear the Palo Pinto House Pants House Band, there is a link over yonder on the homepage of this blog. Please remember we are simply a house band when listening. If you hear cowbell, that's me.

Gye Greene said...

Oh, forgot to say:

"No Soliciting" isn't necessarily unfriendly. But it **is** a good test of vocabularly! :)

That is: The folks you want to scare off may not know what "Solfisheting" means.

Maybe "If'n you aint' friends or family, don't knock!" ???

But then, the nice people collecting for worthwhile charities won't show up.

Maybe post a list of approved and unapproved organizations out by the front gate. :)

--TG

Gye Greene said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gye Greene said...

O.k., found it! Was looking at your "profile" page. Duh!

(Sorry about removing the last comment. [Left a messy blank space!] It was a "can't find the link" message. Clearly, I found it.)

Good tunes. Though the "Too Hot for House Pants" song is disorienting when you have a head cold. (Catchy, though!)

marty said...

Filming took place previous to any bee-like discussions, and my lovely beautiful wife is not keen on the honey combing idea so I do not know if it shall become a reality. As per Tim, he is presently playing for the San Antonio Missions and currently is 1-0 with 4 strikeouts in 2 innings of work. I believe they visit Frisco twice, May 13-17 and July 19-23. *Warning* due to his job as a reliever, if you attend only one game there is a chance you might not see him work, however, there is a high percentage he will pitch at least once in a series or you could just say hi to him in the bullpen. Kim and myself are contemplating a trip for the July dates. Wow I feel so special i got a note worthy mention in the Lazy Russian Horses Show. This is field report marty signing off.

Robert_M said...

No soliciting signs are only unfriendly to solicitors. And maybe your pals will think twice about their kid's fundraisers too.

Squidward plays the clarinet.

K. said...

I like Squidward. He is the only person, I mean octopus, more ornery than me.

-K.