Thursday, April 14, 2005

Deep Thoughts

My friend Whitney just started to blog and said she is intimidated because she feels like she needs to have something profound to say. I think that's funny. I don't think I could have a profound thought if I tried. I'd rather read people's amusing stories than their deep thoughts anyway. Today while I was doing some of the work I do for my parents, a really mindless task of tearing off perforated checks to deposit, I monitored my thoughts to see if they were profound. Here is a little peek into the conversations I have in my brain (it should be noted that I was listening to Classic Alternative on Sirius radio at the time):

I like INXS. Poor Michael Hutchins. This sucks. Damn, out of sticky-notes. Where are the extra sticky notes? Here they are. Ooh! Look at all these great colors! I love what they've done with sticky notes. I want to go to Super Target and get some sticky notes for work. Maybe these cool blue ones. Why couldn't I have invented sticky notes? Gene Lovese Jezebel! I saw these guys at a party in the Hard Rock cheese club. They were nice. Boy, that guy is really trying hard to stay in tune. This song is pretty bad. Joy Division! I hate this song. They played this last time I was here. Why do all these singers kill themselves? I could really go for some cinnamon toast. Oh, the Go-gos! I need to get a Go-go's CD. Maybe Jeff can copy me some stuff off...what's that thing called? I can't remember. Dang, that's gonna drive me nuts. I wonder if my parents have any bread....

And so forth. REAL profound.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like inside Kev's brain. He says he can turn off his thoughts anytime he wants. I don't believe him. In my world, there is no such thing as head silence. It is constant chatter in there. Kev, I think, thinks about math a lot. And sometimes, he has real Rain Man moments and will say something like, "Did you know golf spelled backwards is flog?" I would have had to write that down to figure it out. He invents songs in his head, too. I wish I could do that. But the thing I most envy is the head silence. I'd give anything for that. I don't think Kev would like to try going into my brain. I think it would make him really tired, and probably confused.

Fine Young Cannibals!

Well, I am going to go watch American Idol before I go to work. My dad Tivo-ed it for me. I already know that the girl with the big round hair got voted off, but I'm gonna watch it anyway. It is good to watch the Tivo'ed version, because you can FFWD through the crappy bits. It oughta take me about 10 minutes to watch. Then maybe I can go to Super Target for some sticky notes!

4 comments:

Robert_M said...

I Tivo therfore I am, tis better to have sticky noted than never noted at all.

Tara said...

Now THAT'S deep, man.

Gye Greene said...

re: profound thought -- take it as a compliment that she thinks your blogged musings are profound. ;)

re: INXS -- (1) You know that Michael H. didn't **intentionally** kill himself, right? What a way to go.

(2) Agree about singers killing themselves (either directly or inadvertently). One of my fave bands, Material Issue, lost the singer/songwriter/guitarist guy. Carbon-monoxided himself with his car, I believe, before the release of their fourth(?) album. Bummed, I think, that after some radio play off their first album, the subsequent ones were going nowhere.

(3) In Australia, here, they're about to do an "American Idol"-style reality t.v. to find a Michael Hutchence replacement. Creepy.


re: FYC? Gene Loves Jezebel? -- **Really** telegraphing your generational affiliation! ;)

K. said...

You do know, I can hear you talking about me.

-K.