Friday, April 15, 2005

Being a Dork is Cool!

Last night I told Kev about EarthFest 2005. Do you know what he said? "That's dorky." Now them's fightin' words. I want to know who it was that decided that caring about the planet is dorky? Why is it dorky to watch birds, but cool to hunt and kill birds? Why is it dorky to ride around on a clean quiet bike while wearing a helmet, but cool to drive around town on a big loud pollutey motorcycle with no helmet? Why is it dorky to play a violin, but cool to be able to throw a round orange ball through a hoop? Why is it dorky to read books and learn stuff, but cool to shop-lift, be unemployed, and smoke cigarettes? I am on a campaign to make dorky the new cool. Who's with me?

And I'll tell you what else, while I'm at it. I LIKE MANY HALL AND OATES SONGS!

Hey, we are going on little trip this weekend, first to Paris Texas to see my friend Whitney and her nice family, then to Mt. Nebo State Park in Arkansas to stay in a cabin in the woods and hike and look for birds and critters. I am hoping to have tales of adventure upon our return. Have a good weekend.

8 comments:

Robert_M said...

Encourage blogging!

I like Hall and the Oates also...but I am a dork.

Larry Feathers said...

Next week's re-runs of Mister Rogers are all about the environment. Tune in.

Tara said...

I will record them! Thanks Larry Feathers.

Gye Greene said...

Is there a distinction between being "a dork," "a nerd," and "a geek"?

Be who you need to be. As long as it helps, not hurts, people. ;)

BTW, neat-o blog! Tall Guy recommended it. He was right: good stuff. :)

--Gye Greene

john clarke said...

I will have to agree with your husband. Caring about the environment is cool. Attending a "fest" about the environment is a tad dorky.

Tara said...

Nerds and Geeks are usually really smart, like "computer nerds." Dorks are a little different, more like square, like the kind of people who wear socks with sandals, or collect stamps, or watch birds.

I am still going to Earthfest, even if John thinks it's dorky too. I want to learn about hybrid cars. If I wasn't on a budget, I'd even get a T-Shirt.

john clarke said...

So, I just learned that Earthfest is being hosted next door to my office building, apparantly during the afternoon during a workday. I'll probably go, if for no other reason than to get out of my office. So screw me. I'm a dork. And I'm proud.

whitneydonkey said...

does kev smoke cigarettes and shoplift? i thought he did habitat for humanity!