Thursday, April 21, 2005

Old

Yesterday I was alerted via email of the upcoming North Garland High School Class of 1986 20-Year Reunion. This does not make me happy. I am old. In an effort to make me feel even worse, my silver hairs are all standing awkwardly at attention today, away from the rest of the hairs, as if to say "Look at me!" Thanks, humidity.

I haven't decided about going to the reunion yet. There are only a handful of people I have any interest in seeing that I don't already see on a pretty regular basis. Plus, it costs a LOT of money for a ticket. And I am pretty sure Kev wouldn't have much fun being paraded around and introduced to a bunch of Garlandites. Then again, it might be kind of like participating in a real-life episode of King of the Hill. Which could be fun. We could play "Spot-the-Dale," or "Find-a-Bill," or "Who-Looks-the-Most-Like-Peggy." My friends and I crashed the 10-year reunion, meaning we showed up at the end of the night wearing jeans and not paying. Pretty typical behavior from the "Iron Maidens," as Bryce used to call us. It was kind of weird and surreal. Well, I guess I have a year to decide about this one. Ugh.

I don't like being old, but I sure am glad I'm not in High School anymore.

4 comments:

john clarke said...

How come you're already getting that notice, and I haven't gotten mine yet and I graduated in 1985? I'm actually glad I haven't got a notice because that is the same thing as having the reunion decision made for you.

Unlike you, there's no one I kept up with from high school. And unlike the "Iron Maidens" who were a cohesive group of cool people, all of my friends were spread out among the social strata of J.J. Pearce High School. And my coolest high school friends went to Berkner and Richardson. Everybody at my high school, unlike me, went on to make a crap load of money and are currently super sucessful. So there's no King of the Hill factor to make it interesting. In fact, I'm the equivelant of the dork selling propane. I do have something to show for the last 20 years. I'm just not sure I have the desire to show it to the Pearce Class of '85.

Robert_M said...

Mine's this summer, and I soo don't wanna go. Unless I can think of a schtick.

whitneydonkey said...

i don't care anything about the reunion really, lets go to denny's again like last time after the 10 year. bob went to pearce too john, but he graduated in the 1970's i think he went to school with otto from the simpsons.

i am poor too, but there are alot of Garland people worse off than me. fashion and music challenged to say the least. how paris of me to say that!

Gye Greene said...

re: getting old.

You should carry around a rock in your pocket. Then when you feel old, you can take out the rock and say, well, "old" is relative.

But make sure you get an old rock, not a new rock.

--TG