Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Empire Strikes Back

Kev saved plenty of room for some post-shepherd's pie popcorn last night, so we watched Episode 5. A very good movie...Yoda was funny, Darth Vader was a bad-ass, no silly puppets, etc. I kinda felt sorry for Darth Vader because all of his minions were completely worthless, which was very frustrating for the Dark Lord. Anyway, one more installment and I can move on. I will just have to try to get past the teddy bears. I'm sure Kev will be glad when this is all over. I think he has a little bit of adolescent stress associated with Star Wars. You see, his dad, who is greatness, was a physics teacher (in fact, he was once Disney's Teacher of the Year for the whole country), and he used to build robots for his classroom. He built an exact replica of R2D2, along with his girlfriend, the pink-trimmed R2-She2. He made a C3PO of snow. He made Kev dress up like various things, a Jawa I think mostly, and go around town with the robots in tow, entertaining kids, when Kev probably wanted to be playing outside or doing other things. I will see if I am allowed to post some photos of Kev's dad from his travelling Star Wars show days...very cool. Kev's dad still loves Star Wars and the toys that go with it. This Christmas he gathered the whole family in the living room for a light saber demonstration with his new LED light sabers. He told me he took his light sabers to the theater last week when they went to see Revenge of the Sith ("Just in case," he said), but Kev's mom made him leave them in the car. You will never meet anyone like Kev's dad. He is truly the Pharoh of Fun. Be that as it may, when you're a pre-teen boy, you probably don't want to go around town dressed like a Jawa with your dad and his robots. (Boy, I hope I don't get in trouble for pulling back the curtain a little on Kev's childhood...these stories need to be told, and Kev won't start his own blog in spite of my urging).

(If you would like to hear Mr.H. sing Blue Christmas with the PPHPHB (Elvis-style) use the band link on the right.)

No comments: