Sunday, July 03, 2005

Good Happy Fun Times

Today I was invited to attend a 4th of July block party on my brother's street near Downtown Garland. I don't think many things could have had a more positive impact on my faith in humanity and hope for the future. Apparently this is an annual event. A petition is signed by the neighbors to get a permit to block off the street. Tables are set up in the middle of the street for food, and tables are set up in everyone's yards for eating or games of dominoes. Ladies from the neighborhood put flags all up and down the block, and decorate everyone's porches with Patriotic bunting. Little kids play in a bounce house at one end of the street, while a couple of neighbors who have a band play classic rock songs at the other end. Everyone goes to each other's yards to visit or to play with each other's dogs. There was a little girl with long blonde pigtails tied with red and blue ribbons, riding up and down the street on her tricycle, wearing a flag shirt. I am certain that later tonight she will do some sparklers, and I'd do anything to have a picture of that. The guy on the corner with the smoker started his brisket at 3:30 AM and it smoked for 13 hours and it was so good that I don't mind the risk of mad cow disease. The whole thing was right out of a made-for-tv movie.
These people are good. My brother's neighbors are the kind of people you want to have as neighbors. Since Jeff is on travel a lot, they pitch in sometimes to help with his yardwork. There is a plumber who does Jeff's plumbing, and Jeff helps with his taxes. The guy next door saved Jeff's house from being burnt down by some hooligans one night. None of these people are snobby or fake, or try to be hip or cool, or brag about their jobs or kids or possessions. It is the neighborhood of the "common man."

This would never happen on my block. We only know a couple of our neighbors. During the tree incident of 2003, there was a brief moment of neighborhood comraderie, but it was short-lived. It makes me kind of sad.

There is one lady on Jeff's street who doesn't participate. She called the police 6 or 7 times today to complain about various things. It's sad. She should have come outside and appreciated how lucky she is to have a neighborhood like this one. I doubt if there are many around like it.

Maybe later LarryFeathers will blog about this or post some pictures. Or if we're really lucky, he'll blog about the big Styx Show in downtown Garland last night. Happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

The Hatleyman said...

That reminds me of when I was little in my hometown...we always had neighborhood parties...

whitneydonkey said...

yall ought to move over there and get away from the mcmansions.
richardson was like that the other day too, it made me want to move the girls to the city again, just for a minute.
dinky parade, candy, dogs, etc!
no styx though.