Friday, July 08, 2005

Madame Stella


My cool great-aunt Mary rounded up some old photos for me, after we had our discussion of our family history during my visit to New Albany. Then my other cool aunt Kathy (see the Horse-head novelty photo from earlier post) scanned them all onto a CD for me. Here is a photo of my great great grandma Stella, the Seminole Madame.

Hmm...well, somehow this is not quite the glamorous lady I had pictured in my mind, but it is a cool photo nonetheless. Perhaps this was taken after the brothel was raided, and Stella went back to the farm. Maybe it was taken on Halloween, and Stella thought she'd dress as Little Bo Peep that year. Or maybe this is just how madames looked in Indiana in the early 1900s. Whatever the case, I am intrigued by this picture. What is going on? What are those people in the background doing? What is up with those shoes? I want answers!

It is VERY weird to think that without the lady in this photo, I wouldn't exist.Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Never mind the shoes -- whazzup with that stick?

(Answer?: Spanky spanky!!!)


--GG

whitneydonkey said...

i love that name Stella. do you have another relative named Hattie?

Tara said...

Ooooh! A mystery! Kathy, be sure to let me know if the other photo is found.

Whitney...I don't think there are any Hatties in the family. We have Ina May, Anna May, Ida Jewel, Betty, Gertie, Mary, Ruth-Ann, my great-grandparents were Bert and Bertha... But I only just found out about Stella, so who knows, maybe there's a Hattie somewhere down the line.

Tara said...

Oh, I forgot about Aunt (pronounced aint) Minnie, and Mame. And Pop and Bud.