Saturday, July 23, 2005

Tamales?

On this, the hottest day of the year so far, I returned home from the great Central Market and was approached at the bottom of my driveway by a lady who was walking down my street with a small plastic bag (like the ones from the grocery store). She said, "Tamales?" I said, "No thank you." She said twelve tamales for $7. I said no thank you. Now, I love tamales, but this was a little suspicious. Has this ever happened to you? From the looks of things, she probably only had 12 tamales in her bag. Was I to be her last customer of the day? Or her only customer? Strange. I'd probably have bought some if she had a refrigerated cart like the popsicle man. I sure could go for some tamales...

4 comments:

whitneydonkey said...

i might have chanced it if it was an igloo cooler at least.
i love tamales too.
i used to buy breakfast burritos from a guy in new mexico. they were awesome.
eric has gone into some questionable neighborhoods to purchase the odd tamale in El Paso and the birthday pinata in San Antonio.

The Hatleyman said...

Used to happen when I was a kid, but not so much now. I miss seeing the tamale man come down the street as he did when I was young, of course that was when times were more simpl and you could trust a strange guy selling his tamales door to door.

john clarke said...

Homemade tamales are awesome. And I've bought them before from roving vendors with great sucess. But I'm with Whitney. They need to at least be stored in a igloo.

And they shouldn't be frozen.

Robert_M said...

Some of the ladies here at work make em, and we are happy when that happens. I support the local tamale