Tuesday, July 19, 2005

There is Unrest in the Forest

Yesterday as I was driving to work, Glenn Mitchell had an uncharacteristically boring guest, and I was forced to filp around the dial and try to find some decent music. I happened to land on 93.3 the Bone (Classic Texas Rock that Rocks) and it was playing The Trees by art-rock favorite, Rush. So Geddy Lee was caterwauling on and on about the Oaks' dispute with the Maples, and I was caterwauling in my car right along with him because for some reason I know all the words. (There is so much useless crap I wish I could purge from my brain cells). I am pretty sure that in high school, I probably thought this song was really cool. "Yeah man, those lyrics are symbolic, man." Oh, brother. Do you guys think Neil Peart was serious? Or do you think he was having a laugh at people who bought into the whole symbolism crap, like me? I wish Run DMC would turn this into a rap.

The Trees
Yo - There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees,
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas.
The trouble with the maples,
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light.
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made.
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade.
There is trouble in the forest,
And the creatures all have fled,
As the maples scream "Oppression!" (This is my favorite part)
And the oaks just shake their heads
So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
"The oaks are just too greedy;
We will make them give us light.
"Now there's no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw.

Dude. I mean Word.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Whoever said that all rock and roll was about sex, drugs and women- Rush sang about trees. That is hilarious! I never knew...

Robert_M said...

Only in Canada...

Tara said...

I guess maybe I have very little room to talk since I wrote a song about a backyard possum.

john clarke said...

I think Rush knew they were suckering in the weak minded junior high and high school student. Those who've had entry level Dickens foisted on them in English class are more likely to buy into phony symbolism from a Canadian power rock trio. I fell victim to that when "Moving Pictures" came out when I was in the 7th Grade. Still, if Limelight comes on the radio, I'll turn it up.

Julie said...

Maybe they were just remembering when they had to memorize that lovely poem... "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree, a tree whole .... branches...." I can't remember the rest- I had to memorize that i first grade. Anyway- they just wanted to elaborate.