Thursday, May 12, 2005

Alias

Suddenly, people I know are asking for new identities. "I will only respond to 'The Captain'." "Henceforth I would like to be called 'Monsieur Valentine'." I don't think you are allowed to give yourself a nickname. I think you are supposed to earn one from people who know you over time. Then again, if you make up your own nickname, I guess you don't have to worry that people might decide to call you 'Stinky' or 'Fats'. When you are named Tara, people get your name wrong a lot. I have been called Teri, Sarah, Tanya, Tar-a (rhymes with Car-uh), Tommy (!), and I hesitate to share this, but once when I was in the newspaper as a kid, they mis-printed my name as Tata. Most unfortunate. It was cool as a kid to get your picture in the paper, provided they spelled your name right. Once in like 3rd grade, I got my picture in the paper with our local TV weather man and the biggest squash in Floyd County, Indiana (he brought it to show our class one day). If I can find it, I'll scan it in and post it here.

11 comments:

K. said...

Well, if memory serves me, you recently asked to be called the Maiden of Merriment. Or was it the Princess of Pleasure? I don't recall.

Ta-ta,

-K.

Tara said...

Dangit!

P.S. Tata jokes will not be tolerated. I thought my readership was more mature than that.

Robert_M said...

Je pense que cela est drôle -Monsieur Valentine

Tara said...

Ah! Tres bien! Je ne sais pas tu parle francais!

Tara said...

Ah! Tres bien! Je ne sais pas tu parle francais!

Larry Feathers said...

Cher Tata,

Pour le rapport, le nom "Le Capitaine" a été accordé sur moi par une dame folle a nommé Barbara. Je n'a pas d'idée pourquoi. J'ai acheté un chapeau du capitaine pour la ménager. Certainement je ne me donnerais pas un surnom.

Gye Greene said...

Ever been called "Taters"? That'd be a cool one.

Interesting, your pron. of "Tara." Have a co-worker named "Tara," who indeed pron. it "Tar-uh" (like "black gummy stuff, uhhh"). She said that "Tare-uh" (rhymes w/ "cab fare") is an American pronounciation.

Clearly, no one's seen the old Avengers, w/ Tara King (1968-1969)? But Emma Peel (1965-1967; played by Diana Rigg) was better. ;)

Gye Greene said...

When I was a little kid (5yo?), I **really** wanted a nickname. Every day I asked for a different one: "Call me 'Buck'." "Call me 'Scooter'."

I had a box of nicknames under my bed, and when my mom tucked me in, she'd offer me a few, and I'd choose one for the night. :)

--GG

Robert_M said...

I seem to have bit off more than I can chew on this french thing...erm ...well alright!

Tara said...

OK, now y'all are using some kind of English to French internet translator. I wasn't born yesterday.

Julie said...

Tata- i like that- but will try not to use it- :)