Monday, May 09, 2005

Sleepy

I am so sleepy today. I can hardly keep my eyes open. This is bad, because I am working late tonight, and I am expected to be lots of fun to play with, in addition to being on my toes and ready for those speech and language curve-balls the kids can throw at any time. My most difficult kid is at the end of the day, unfortunate for me and for him.

For those of you who have been wondering, Saturday's mystery bird was in fact a mourning warbler. I thought this was a possibility, and it was confirmed by one of the bird chat guys...I should learn to trust my bird-identifying skills. I have found a cool website where you can choose a bird and hear a recording of its song. I am going to have Kev put a link to it over there with my other links, so you can amuse yourself with bird songs, or startle the person in the next cube with sudden owl calls or goose honks. My favorite is the simple mallard. I cannot listen to it without cracking up.

Larryfeathers is in New Orleans for the second week in a row. I am jealous because he gets to go to Voodoo Barbeque. So delicious.

The Rory Block concert was great. I was pleased that the audience was substantial enough to warrant her switch to a bigger venue. I did miss the pie and coffee though. There were two opening acts. The first was a singer/song-writer lady with a piano. She was serviceable as a singer and pianist, but her lyrics were tired and soul-less. It is only a matter of time, I thought, before she does a Sarah McLaughlin song, and sure enough she sang the Arms of the Angel song. I think if you must do one of her songs, you should try to make it your own. This lady tried way too hard to sound just like the record. Didn't work. The second opener was Holland K. Smith (blues guitar guy) with Miss Wanda King on vocals. This lady could SING! Then of course, was Rory Block, who always puts on a great show. She has definitely earned the right to sing the blues...she's had a tough life. Every time I see her, I am saddened to note the absence of black people in the audience. The black people have turned their backs on the blues. I have been reading a book where Dan Akroyd, as Elwood Blues, interviews all these cool old blues people like John Lee Hooker and BB King and Rufus Thomas etc. It is so great. They would be sad to know that only white people go to see blues shows anymore. By the way, if you haven't ever listened to Skip James, I recommend that you do so. He has an interesting story, which I will save for another time.

I am pleased that the Mavericks have moved on to round 2. I fear Phoenix though. They have the great Steve Nash.

I decided that I would follow some Mr. Rogers wisdom from the book I just finished, so I opted to take my car to Belmont Garage, home of the mean man, for my state inspection. They were VERY nice, my car passed inspection, and I am finally all car-legal and happy. Perhaps the mean man was just tired (taahrd) when I called last week. It feels good to forgive.

I am pleased that Bob liked the stuff we added to his song. He wants to give us a Japanese Maple.

Three and a half hours until I get home. I'll never make it.

4 comments:

K. said...

A little research shows that Wanda King is the daughter of the late Texas bluesman Freddie King.

Freddie, while a giant of a man (both in physical stature and in guitar playing ability), was not so nearly cowbell-shaped as Wanda.

-K.

Gye Greene said...

So, the mean man was actually just an "occassionally grumpy" man? :)

Which Mr. Rogers book? Thx!

--GG

Tara said...

K-You can always be counted upon for these great tidbits!

G.G. - The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers, by Amy Hollingsworth. It's a very quick book to read.

Gye Greene said...

Wall, thanks! On both counts. :)