Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Tale of Great Sadness

Was minutes away from leaving for work when I heard a loud thud. Dammit - another bird has hit the back window, I thought. Doves are always hitting the back window. It stuns them and they move on. But I always worry about it. This time is wasn't a dove, but what appeared to be a young cardinal. It was lying on the ground, and it clearly had broken its neck. It struggled for a few seconds and gave up. The daddy cardinal sat on the flower pot above and looked at it for a minute, then flew away. It was horrible. I didn't know what to do, so I picked it up with the shovel and put it in a box, because I was afraid if I left it, one of the neigborhood cats would get it. I don't know the protocol for disposing of dead birds. I feel very sad and now I have to go to work and be all happy and fun. Argh. Anyway, the curtains on the back window will remain closed as long as this is a danger to the nice unsuspecting birds that come to my yard.

6 comments:

Robert_M said...

That sucks! I love the redbird

john clarke said...

I offer my condolences over the loss.

K. said...

These websites recommend moving feeders away from the line-of-sight of windows:

http://www.woodstores.com/prbiwicr.html

http://www.mightymiramichi.com/breadnmolasses/id283.html

-K.

Gye Greene said...

Maybe hang little dangly things from the eaves? Or some sort of screen or mesh? That way, they'll see something, and not try to take a shortcut thru the house.

Nicer than keeping the curtains closed all the time: with a screen (or dangly things) you can still enjoy the view.

--GG

Tara said...

A screen would be good, because then we could actually open those doors and let the air in without the bugs.

Gye Greene said...

Sorry: I actually meant, not windowscreens, but just a screen or mesh hanging from under the eaves. Maybe a 1"x2" strip (lathe?) across the bottom to weight it down, and mount it to under the eaves with cuphooks and another 1"x2" strip across the top (so's the cuphooks don't tear thru the mesh). Oh: and maybe a staplegun, or a jarfull of those little U-shaped nails.

If there were cuphooks (or protruding U-shaped nails) on either the top 1"x2" and the appropriate hook or loop under the eaves, then you could take down the screen to wash the windows, paint the house, etc.


--GG