Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Siriusly 80's

Good songs I heard today on Sirius 1st Wave:

PIL - Seattle
REM - Finest Worksong
Haircut 100 - Favorite Shirt
Duran Duran - Planet Earth
The Cure - Jumping Someone Else's Train

Of couse, I had to hear Turning Japanese again. What a beating. I think they are required to play that song once per hour.
I really love Duran Duran, and I really miss when REM used to be good.

Last night on America Idol, they had to sing hits of today. I did not recognize even one of the songs. I believe I have crossed over into the world of out-of-touch old people. That's OK. Those songs were terrible anyway.

2 comments:

john clarke said...

Too bad you don't get XM radio streamed on your subscription TV service. Karen has Sirius in her car while I've got XM in my car and on my computer. 1st Wave has a bit little better programing than the tired 80's stations who beat us with the same seven 80's songs. But I'm listening XM's "Fred" station, which is primarily 80's. Currently they're playing live Billy Bragg. Advantage --- Fred.

Gye Greene said...

Ayep! This is when you realize you really **are** a grown-up: nostalgia about pop music. ("When **I** was a kid...")

Much of the "alternative" music today seems to be more texture-based, rather than relying on a distinctive melody line.

OTOH, Brit. Spears (sp?) actually has some catchy stuff. Which someone else wrote and arranged for her, of course. ;)

--GG