Monday, May 23, 2005

LRHS Song Retirement Nominations

I think there are some songs that should retire. We've heard them enough. This means they could no longer be played in public places like the radio, weddings, baseball stadiums, basketball arenas, etc. People could listen to them at home, of course, but not in public. Since I realize NEVER is a long time, I would be willing to compromise and let these songs come out of the vault in, say, 20 years, be played once, and then put back in for another 20. I just feel like there are some songs that we don't really need to hear anymore, even some decent songs like Hotel California. Let's make room for some new songs to be overplayed! Here is my list of nominations:

Hotel California
YMCA
Turning Japanese
Black Dog
Sweet Home Alabama
Freebird
Old Time Rock and Roll (kryptonite!)
Six Flags song
Achy Breaky Heart
I Believe I Can Fly
Born in the USA
American Woman
Magic Carpet Ride
I am starting to realize I could go on and on all day, so I will stop there. Please feel free to submit your own nominations!

6 comments:

john clarke said...

"Who Let The Dogs Out"

"Rock and Roll Part II"

"Start It Up"

Robert_M said...

Whoop there it is-heard it at the gym Friday and felt sick

K. said...

This is a good start. If I were in charge I'd put a 20-year moratorium on all classic rock. Aren't you glad I'm not in charge.

Actually, if we just start boycotting those stations that play "All Tired Hits of the 70's, All The Time", then (in theory) the wheels of capitalism should do the rest. The revolution starts here, man.

Here's a frightening statistic: by the time a child reaches 16, he or she has been subjected to over a million plays of "American Woman". Won't somebody please think of the children!!

Wait, I'm not done ranting yet.

If you think about it, the life cycle of a rock 'n roll hit is pretty sad. It starts out so young, with so much promise. It quickly ascends the charts and is briefly cool, perhaps even cutting edge. Then it becomes mainstream and is less cool. Shortly after it becomes passe' and is forgotten. Then a decade later it becomes a "classic" and is played on every
major FM rock station until permanent brain damage is achieved.

In a few years it makes its way into TV commercials, and is dragged out again for a reunion tour. In its old age, the lyrics are surgically removed and the melody is played by violins to the great annoyance of elevator passengers everywhere.

Then, and only then, the band from whence it came is inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, and the Hit is trotted out for one last moment in the sun.

Rock is dead they say...

-K.

Gye Greene said...

Agree, but: caveat.

Parody versions by "Weird Al" Yankovic are fully acceptable:

Example: "Achy Breaky Song"
(http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/achybreakysong.html)

"You can torture me
With Donnie & Marie
You can play some Barry Manilow
Or you can play some schlock
Like New Kids On The Block
Or any Village People song you know...
[snipped]

But don't play that song
That "Achy Breaky" song
The most annoying song I know
And if you play that song
That "Achy Breaky" song
I might blow up my radio, ooo..."

Gye Greene said...

Also, surprised you've heard "Turning Jp." enough times to put it on the list. Maybe it's just overplayed in TX?

I'd agree with your list (and concept; glad you allow home-use!) -- although could listen to an endless loop of the guitar intros to "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Money for Nothing", alternating, for hours. ;)

--GG

annush said...

awwww i kinda like ...turning japanese :)

but the macarena and the ketchup song (whatever it's called) should be erased from history!