Saturday, May 07, 2005

Sabado Gigante!

Hello on this cloudy Saturday morning. I am here, happy with my Central Market Amaretto Coffee, and Kev is on the couch playing his guitar. Tonight we are going to the Granada to see Rory Block, who (if you don't know) is a good blues lady. It should be a good show, but I am worried that no one will be in the audience because it wasn't advertised well. We have seen her perform twice before to packed houses at Uncle Calvin's, but they always advertise well via their mailing list, and they get a lot of regulars in their audiences, who come to every show for the pie and coffee and fellowship that Uncle Calvin's offers. I hope there is a decent crowd, because she is a nice lady and it would be a drag if her feelings were hurt by a lame turn-out.

Yesterday I went downtown on the train to get my new registration sticker at the Dallas County Tax Office. What a depressing place. But I was in and out of there in less than five minutes, so it was OK. Nothing exciting happened on the train, but I did notice with great admiration the many different ways it is possible for black people to sculpt their hair. One lady had hair that included a big braid up the back and several small braids up the sides, culminating in a large ball of hair on top with little floral braids all over it. It was really impressive. Another lady had perfectly round hair, like a ball. And have you seen all the different ways Dallas Maverick player Marquis Daniels can get his hairs to go? White people could learn a thing or two about hair creativity from these three people. I wanted to compliment the braid lady, but I was afraid that she wouldn't like me because I'm white. This sucks, because I just want everyone to like me. Can't we all just get along?

I have been enjoying a lot of people's recent posts about pants. I was just lamenting to Kev that I am beginning my summer 3-pants rotation with the same pants from last summer's 3-pants rotation, and I was complaining that people were going to see me in the same pants as last summer and it was embarrassing. Kev said no one notices your pants. And I said of course they do, if you wear the same 3 pants all the time. I was then backed up by the Mintez blog, as he is a GUY and notices people that wear the same pants every day. So anyway, I am still mad at my pants, but I did get a new skirt yesterday to mix things up a bit. We were actually shopping for new pants for Kev to wear to his new job. I will not discourse on the subject of shopping for pants with Kev.

I saw a new bird in my back yard today, and after going through two bird books, we couldn't ID it, so I had to resort to posting a message on the bird chat message board for Audubon Dallas, making me officially a bird nerd. I promise not to get sucked into their chat though. I just want to know what I saw this morning, and you can bet one of them will know.

After getting some mixmaster feedback, Kev remixed the Bob song and added some bass. The new mix is on Nowhere Radio if anyone is interested.

My brother told me that some people in McKinney have 4 daughters named Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, and Brandi. I will need proof.

I hope the Mavericks win tonight. Even if I was going to be home, I don't think I could watch the game. I get way too wound up. By the end of Game 6, I was all scrunched up in one corner of the couch yelling at the know-it-all announcer and getting very agitated. I had to do some deep breathing afterward.

Shout out to my mom for Mother's Day. Even though she really shouldn't read this blog so much. I might want to write about yoga sometime after all.

7 comments:

Gye Greene said...

re: daughters "Yesterday," "Today", "Tomorrow," and "Brandi." Ironically, I'll bet Brandi feels like the weird one. ("Maaaan! Why didn't they just name me "Next Week"?!)

--Travis

Robert_M said...

Hold on a tic, I noticed a guy wearing the exact smae pair of pants for many days on end. This is not the same as noticing a pair from last summer. But yeah...

Tara said...

What I meant was that people will notice that I have only three pants in my rotation. They might even do things like make bets about which pants I will wear that day. Hmmm...it's Wednesday...my money's on the pink capris.

Robert_M said...

I like birds, especially the duck, I'm a big fan

Tara said...

Coming soon: Your link to Sounds of the Duck!

Gye Greene said...

This comment is looong after reading your original post -- but I thought it relevant.

Had a friend in high school, always wore the same blue hooded sweatshirt with a plain white t-shirt underneath. Never smelled bad, but I still thought it was funny to always wear the same sweatshirt. Then one time I was at his house when his mom was halfway through the laundry: saw a pile of six blue sweatshirts and a whole pile of white t-shirts. Aha!

Similarly -- and what reminded me of your post -- I was doing laundry yesterday, and realized I have three near-identical black pairs of jeans. And two pairs of black "jeans-material" walking shorts. So, people might think I never change my pants. But I **do**!!!

So: don't worry about what people think. :)

--GG

Gye Greene said...

Oh: And if you find out that people are placing bets on which pants you wear, you can collude with one of the bettors, rig the betting, and split the winnings.

Or, not. WWMRD (What Would Mr. Rogers Do?). ;)