Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Fame

It seems like if you are a celebrity, you can do anything you want, and people will buy it. Today I had a cancellation at work, so rather than play computer Free Cell (which by the way is one of the few things I can do better than Kev), I decided to go browse around at Barnes and Noble and have a coffee. I was in the children's section looking for stuff to use at work. I saw children's story books by Madonna, Katie Couric, Jason Alexander, and Ray Romano, and at least 2 other celebrities that I can't remember now. Somehow, it doesn't seem fair. There are a lot of good REAL writers out there trying to get published, but how can they compete with such name recognition? To be fair, maybe those celebrity books are good. But I doubt it. Jenny McCarthy, who is famous for being quite bad-mannered, has TWO books about parenting! Good grief.

If you have a little kid, and need a book, check out a really cool book called Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. Great illustrations. Funny idea. Tons better than anything Katie Couric could come up with. Mister Rogers also has some good children's books about making friends, being sad, divorce, losing a pet, and other things. I like them because they are truthful and don't gloss over negative life events. Also, They Might Be Giants has a great CD for kids about the letters of the alphabet.

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

They Might Be Giants is one of the best bands out there. Buy **all** their stuff! ;)

Also, check out their single "Why Does the Sun Shine," which is a cover of a 1950s/1960s "educational" song.

--TG

Tara said...

Kim! Hi! I will check out the Wodney book. How was Florida? By the way, you should hear your brother play the clarinet! He's getting pretty good. I still can't play the thing for more than 5 minutes without getting dizzy.

TG - I will try to listen to the sun song.