Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mother's Day Blog

Here is a story for Mother's Day:

When I was in first or second grade, I went to Slate Run Elementary School in New Albany, Indiana. Slate Run had the unfortunately-named mascot, the "INJUN," but that's another story. Every once in a while during each day, this kid named Robert from the "special" class would come into our classroom. He was mentally retarded, so he had some odd behaviors and usually had some food on his face and he made weird noises. All the kids in my class made fun of him. They would pass around "Robert cooties" and stuff. I remember clearly all the kids tip-toeing around in the halls with great caution, because if you stepped on a crack, you had to kiss Robert. I am not sure he knew he was being made fun of...he always just smiled. Still, somehow, I felt, this wasn't quite OK. I told my mom about it. She said, "Be his friend." So I went back to school and asked the teacher if I could stay in from recess to play with Robert. (For some reason, Robert didn't get to go out for recess). Anyway, Robert and I sat on the classroom floor and played pick-up sticks. I will never forget it as long as I live. So that was an early lesson in patience and tolerance and kindness, right from my mom. Probably the best advice she ever gave me that I can remember. Unless you count, "Always take flip-flops when you go camping so you can wear them in the yucky showers in the bath house." That one comes in handy off and on quite a bit.

So everyone have a nice Mother's Day, and remember to try to practice patience and tolerance and kindness.

4 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Robert and flip-flops: both full of wisdom.

Thx for the story.

--GG

Robert_M said...

that's really sweet

john clarke said...

"If you don't watch out, you might just learn something" --- Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.

Thanks for sharing that. It gives great background into the reasons hehind your big heart and character.

Tara said...

Hey Hey Hey!
What a nice thing to say!