Friday, May 13, 2005

Friday XIII

At last it is Friday. The house is clean, or at least tidy, I am all full of coffee, I don't have to drive to Plano today, my car is in proper working order, I can't complain. No obligations this weekend. I will probably go to see the Rough Riders take on the S.A. Mission on Saturday with my brother. One of the S.A. pitchers, Tim Rall, is the brother of my brother-in-law, Marty. I haven't checked his stats lately, but last I heard he was off to a pretty good start. I am a fan of minor league baseball. Maybe I am romanticizing things a bit, but Minor League ball seems more pure, since the players don't make much money and they are all playing as hard as they can, trying to move up. And HOPEFULLY they aren't all 'roided out like the MLB players of late. Drugs are bad for people.

I saw a show on PBS last night about this lady and her adult daughter who lived in a house so full of stuff that there was no room to walk around, and the daughter had to sleep on a pallet on the floor surrounded by cardboard boxes of crap she collected over the years. She was unofficially diagnosed on the show as having "hoarding" issues. Then they made her sell a bunch of her stuff, give some to shelters, and some of it, they made her throw into a horrible machine called "The Crusher." She was sad, but liberated in the end. I think I have the same problem, although to a lesser extent. I am terribly sentimental, and tend to keep stuff for years. Every now and then, I take it out and look at it, and think, "Oh, that's nice," or whatever, and then put it back. Our garage is full of plastic bins full of stuff like that. I think maybe it's time for a bin overhaul. I really don't need a small cardboard Prince stand-up or pins that say "RUSH," or a book about how to speak like a Valley Girl. I reckon Feng Shui for the most part is a bunch of malarkey, but they (the Feng Shui-ists) are right on with their theories of passive chaos versus active chaos. Passive chaos is piles of stuff that just sits there never getting used, which creates a lot of drag everytime you see it. Like in that TV house last night. Active chaos is good, like when there is a big temporary mess in your kitchen because you are preparing an exciting meal.

Kev is outside planting the Japanese Maple. It is very windy out there.

I will be pulling for the Mavericks this weekend. I was happy that during Game 2, I only noticed Mark Cuban once.



4 comments:

Robert_M said...

Someone smarter than me said 'the things we own end up owning us'

I love a clutter free pad, but I clutter my own...hmmm

Gye Greene said...

re: Clutter. Ebay and used bookstores can be your friend. But also your nemisis. Depends on whether you can sell **w/out** buying! :)

My work had an annual "white elephant" gift exchange at the Christmas party (wrapped gifts). The weirder the better, although some people brought "good" stuff. So, my solution to my clutter was every year I'd bring 3-4 extra gifts (for visitors, spouses/partners/kids, and people that forgot to bring something), of
misc. weird stuff.

Most of them were apprecitated. Mostly. Could be something you could institute at work. The "Valley Girl-Speak" book would be good. The "Rush" (the Canadian band? or a sorority thing?) and Prince cutout would both be excellent e-bay fodder.

OR -- it'd be amusing (frightening?) to visit a speech therapist that had a "How to Speak Like a Valley Girl" book on her office bookshelf! ;)

--GG


(P.S. Rules to white elephant gift exchange: Draw numbers from a hat to determine ranking. First person chooses from the wrapped presents on the table; subsent people can either "steal" an unwrapped gift, or choose a new one; people who've lost their gifts can then steal from someone else, or choose a new gift. Limit of three "steals" per item, at which point it's stuck w/ the final person. For TRULY bizzare items, bring 'em back year after year!)

marty said...

Last night was a 14 inning affair between the Missions and Roughriders. With all the pitchers used you might get to see him toss the rawhide today. Tim Rall could be doing better this season but I am proud of him no matter what.Go out there and root the Missions on, and let my brother know I send my regards (if u speak with him).
GO MISSIONS!!!

Gye Greene said...

For some reason, the "How to Speak Valley Girl" concept is stuck in my head.

Visions of a speech therapist -- inspired by that Steve Martin stand-up routine -- teaching kids how to talk WRONG. After a few sessions, they're all "Like -- wow! Totally -- y'know -- TUBULAR!!!"

--GG