Tuesday, May 03, 2005

New Song

Kev finished mixing the stuff that the PPHPHB added to our friend Bob's song. If anybody wants to check it out, it's on the PPHPHB link, then click Discography, and Volume 3. The song is called Sweet Memory, and it is about Bob's dogs that passed about a year ago. I can't listen to it without crying, so the whole time we were recording, Kev had to turn the vocal track all the way down. Anyway, except for all the crying, it was really fun working on this song. I hope Bob will like it too.

3 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Evokative song; good dog ballad.

Could Kevin (or Bob?) re-mix it with a higher total amplitude (volume/output)? I had to put my PC speakers on at about 80%, compared to around 50% (as a comparison) for "Three Piece Suite Pt. III."

OTOH, once I got it loud enough to hear the lyrics, I hear clipping (distortion) -- more on the whole song than any individual instrument. Maybe mixed down too hot, then mastered too low as a compensation?

Or, is it a 78rpm emulation? :)

Good singing, good lyrics, good banjo playin.' Who did which?

--GG

K. said...

GG -

yeah, I noticed the mix was low compared to recent Vol III songs. I think I have some dB of headroom to crank it up a bit w/o clipping. I usually re-master to match volume as a final step, which I skipped for some reason.

Not sure how the pros do it, but I can never seem to get my volume anywhere near a commercial recording. They must use a lot of multi-band compression or some other voodoo magic.

No banjo on this song. The instrumentation was:

Bob: guitar, vocals
T.: mandolin, cello, shaker, tambourine
K.: rhythm guitar, accordian, brushes/cymbal

This was T.'s debut on the mandolin.

-K.

Tara said...

I do not understand all this fancy mixmaster talk of headroom and clipping and whatnot, but I know Kev really appreciates the feedback. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, G.G.!