Saturday, May 14, 2005

Looney Toons

This morning Kev was emailing his sisters about an idea that we were discussing over breakfast. (We ate on the porch, by the way. It was very pleasant outside, and it smelled good because of the storm). He was typing something about me, I can't remember what, and I said, "No, don't say that...your family probably already thinks I'm a cartoon." And he said, "They do."

D'oh!

I am not a cartoon! I am a human being! If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you drop an anvil on my head, do I not see little stars and birdies? If you shoot me at close range, does my beak not swing around to the back of my head so that I must re-adjust it manually? Oh, um, wait a minute...

Anyway, if people think of me as a cartoon, I hope it is like the Fat Albert Show, where if you're not careful, you just might learn something. Or Samurai Jack, which is really colorful and groovy. Or the first few seasons of the Simpsons, which were really heart-warming when all was said and done.
I hope I am not like Itchy and Scratchy, which is violent. Or Yugi-oh, which is weird and confusing. Or Ren and Stempy, which I don't really get, but I think has quite a bit to do with boogers.

How I loved Saturday mornings as a kid. I would wake up and sit within inches of the TV with my bowl of Honeycombs or Sugar-Pops, and watch Fat Albert, Hong Kong Phooey, Sigmund and the Sea-Monsters, Dr. Shrinker, Land of the Lost...etc. So great. We 70's kids didn't need Japanese card games or video games to go along with our cartoons. No! We just needed a big pillow and the most unhealthy cereal available. Then at about noon, it was time to go outside to play some Hot-Box or (forgive me) Smear the Queer with the neighborhood kids, or shoot baskets or see how long I could jump on my pogo stick or ride my bike around and around the block until it was dark. I almost NEVER see kids outside playing in my neighborhood. It's very sad. If I still had my pogo stick, I'd be outside jumping on it right now. It is a beautiful day.

Tonight I am going to the RoughRiders game with my brother. It should be a great night for baseball. The Mavericks let me down last night. They hung in there until the last few minutes, but then it in fact DID come down to the fact that Phoenix made more baskets. Dallas couldn't get a shot to go in from anywhere on the court. It was pretty awful. Tomorrow is Kev's last day of leisure before starting his new job. Maybe we'll go do something fun.

Have a great weekend!
P-T-P-T-P-That's All Folks!

4 comments:

Gye Greene said...

cartoon: t.v. cartoon, or comic strip? There's a lot of really good comic strips around. ;)

Or, maybe you're Batgirl!!! (But if you were -- you couldn't tell us.)

pogo stick: You can buy adult-sized ones -- but they're hard to find. I have one, pretty fun. Although I slowly turn around in a circle -- not sure if it's a design flaw in the pogo stick, or my fault. Can hop forever, but don't know how to turn.

kids playing outside: Sad! When my kid gets older, I'm banning Playstations/Nintendo/etc. from the house. (The Lady's not as anti-videogames as I am, tho.) A thief of time. (If needed, she can go next door to her cousins'.)

--GG

marty said...

Tara, what kinda connections do u have? Not only did you see Tim Rall pitch(if you stayed he got in the game), you probably saw his last game in the Texas League because he was promoted to AAA and the Tacoma Rainers of the Pacific League. He requests you go see him play in the near future so he can be promoted to the Major Leagues.

Tara said...

Get Out! That's awesome!

Tara said...

GG - TV. You are lucky to have a pogo stick!